Sunday, March 8, 2009

My paintings aren't finished, they are hung


We are all, no doubt, aware of Vincent van Gogh's infamous signature. However, in viewing a recent show of his work, my father brought to my attention that some paintings were not completed with his signature, "Vincent." This observation then led to a question I have asked many times: when is a piece of art finished? In regard to my own work, I say that my paintings are not finished, they are hung. My father does not consider a photo or drawing finished until he has signed it. So, could we then assume the same for van Gogh? Imagine how art history could be reinterpreted if we stop assuming that all of these works were finished. Just because we would feel more comfortable knowing that the paintings we have studied are finished does not mean that the artist felt that way.

I find myself always revisiting work. As an artist, you must grow to some degree or cease to call yourself an artist. This is because the word "artist" is synonymous with "student." As I "finish" one painting, I have already started on another. Especially in working with the figure, each painting is likely more successful than the last and I constantly wish to change the one before. However, the reason I say my work is hung, and not finished, is because I have to just move on. It is completely possible to paint one painting for an entire year and not even begin another. So many times artists paint numerous paintings on one canvas in hopes to "complete" the original. What I now realize is that although my paintings may not be finished because they are not perfect, it is imperative to move onto the next in order to progress.

All this makes me wonder is if the great painters of the past may have struggled with the same things. Maybe then, I have an explanation as to why Vincent did not sign all of his paintings. And maybe we can humanize those great painters that have become immortal in history.

2 comments:

Atul Pande said...

Heather: I couldn't have said it better myself. You have nicely summarized what I am sure many of us driven by the urge to create feel about our work. I have not done a single painting that did not leave me with a nagging feeling that something more was needed to "finish off" the piece. At the same time, whenever I have left a painting alone for a while I often come back months later and have a wholly new insight, almost a revelation, about what was not right with the work.

heather said...

It is true, that we are our own worst critic. However, you may go through 10 "unfinished" pieces before you finish one. A painting can always be better, but it could also go in 10 different directions. Sometimes the best way to finish a painting is to move on to the next one.