Sunday, January 18, 2009

Art and Originality

I remember my sophomore year in college when one of my teachers said, "each generation thinks they are the first." At the time, this comment was made in response to a conversation about how young kids are experimenting with sex and drugs. Although that topic has nothing to do with this post, the idea that we seem to believe we are original simply because something is new to us, is relevant. One of the struggles of art is that it is not about getting the right answer. A + B does not = C. In fact, in art there are no set variables. We get no equation and there are no rules, limitations, or instructions. Instead, we are given a toothpick, a piece of string, and some duct tape and told to build a house. I think that many artists strive to be an original and to make their mark on the art world. More often than not, however, we find ourselves "doing something new," only to find out that over a dozen known artists have done the same thing.

I am not saying that there is no originality anymore because that would be impossible for me to prove and definitely something I do not believe. But our definition of originality may have to change. On one hand we can argue that originality is in the eye of the beholder; if it is new to you, it is original. No one other than yourself can know whether you are referencing other artists or if you have been naive and have come to these conclusions, or questions, on your own. On the other hand, we can acknowledge that of all the work an artist will make, only a small percentage of it will be shown to others (not including close friends and family). Editing becomes key here and after self doubt and harsh self-critiques, only the best (and original) work gets chosen. Because of this selection process, I think that more original work is likely to be shown.

Now, there are undeniably countless theories on originality and I have only mentioned two. Personally, I agree with the first option. All artists MUST be well-versed in both art history and contemporary art. Find artists that share your interest either in painting style, subject, or concept. Learn from them, but do not copy or abandon your work because you find it is not completely original. It is your own and your ideas and even your imperfections are what make it yours. Do not be discouraged if you think that other artists do it better. Do not forget what you bring to the table; something fresh and completely yours.

The reason I am writing about this subject is because it is an issue I have difficulty dealing with. It is easier said than done, but hopefully I too can get past my own insecurities.

No comments: